Many of us worry about the health risks associated with using plastic, especially to hold and store food. Our mission is to find and offer the best alternative to plastic products, products made from safe, non-toxic, and eco friendly materials. We’ve done oodles of research to identify a list of ‘materials we love’ which in turn is used to select and screen the reusable items we sell. So without further ado, the materials we love are:
- Glass and stainless steel are considered the safest materials for food storage. Glass is a safe option made from totally natural raw materials: sand, limestone and soda ash. It’s a great material to use with food and drinks because it doesn’t leach chemicals, it’s recyclable, and can withstand high and low temperatures. Because glass is chemically inert, it can also be microwaved safely. Glass is commonly used for cups, bottles and food storage. Check out our reusable safe glass products.
- Stainless Steel is a safe option when it comes to use with food and beverage, because it doesn’t leach chemicals into your food from these products. It’s durable, recyclable, easy to sanitise and corrosion resistant to various acids found in meats, milk, fruits and vegetables. We recommend products made of 304 or 18/8 grade stainless steel. This indicates the % of chromium (18%) and nickel (8%) both of which are used to prevent rust and corrosion. Visit our safe stainless steel products.
- Natural bamboo is a safe, strong, resilient, renewable and eco-friendly material. It grows quickly, it doesn't need pesticides or much water and it pulls carbon dioxide out of the air. Choose products made from natural bamboo fabric, but avoid synthetic bamboo products made from Rayon. When bamboo fibres are made into Rayon, lots of chemicals are required, anti-microbial features are often lost, and it might not be bio-degradable.
- Hemp is a strong material typically grown chemical free which enriches its soil, saves water and produces 2 – 4 times more fibre per area than other sources. Hemp is durable, biodegradable and recyclable. Contrary to popular belief, hemp is not the same as marijuana, and actually has very little in common with it.
- Silicone is a man-made, rubber-like and inert material that won’t leach into foods. It’s non-toxic, BPA-free, hypoallergenic and resistant to bacteria. As such, it is perfect for food storage and serving purposes, safe, pliable and easy to clean. It can go in the microwave, fridge, freezer or oven (up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit) making it highly versatile and durable. Silicone is derived from silicon, a natural element abundant in sand and rock. It is transformed into silicone when combined with oxygen, carbon and hydrogen. material derived. It’s non-biodegradable but is recyclable.
Disclaimer: we are parents with a passion for healthy and sustainable living, not scientific experts. We've compiled information published by industry experts and Australian & international industry bodies including the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the US Food & Drug Adminisration (FDA) and shared the key bits for your convenience above. But we also acknowledge that certain aspects (i.e. the toxicity of plastics) are not fully understood or adequately tested. We always encourage you to do your own research to make informed decisions but hope this helps.